Thursday 21 February 2013

Defined by her faith

Rachel Wenstone affirms that she is Jewsih but asks not to be defined by her faith.

When I sat on National Conference floor last year, just before my election as Vice President, a high-ranking member of the student factional hard left, an elected student representative, said to me that UJS is funded by Mossad, that as a result I naturally am too, and that is why he would never vote for me. Another member of the left witnessed this. He told him he was a disgrace. That was it. Nobody (including me) made a formal complaint. The student representative finished his term, supposedly representing the students of this country, which includes a few thousand Jewish students, believing that my presence in NUS was part of an Israeli conspiracy.
The problem isn’t confined to the student movement either. A university Chancellor said to me over dinner only a few months ago, “I don’t know what it is about your people. You are so creative, so innovative, but when it comes to the Palestinians, I just don’t understand.”
Read full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/yes-im-jewish-but-dont-define-me-by-my-faith-8501340.html

No comments:

Post a Comment